37 things about me
1. I’m the oldest of 4 (for my mom) 7 (for my dad).
2. I started knitting when I was 12. My step-mom taught me, but I didn’t really knit my first item until I was 20, it was a fair isle yolked sweater in a bulky weight lanolin soaked wool (I still have some of it left)… I promptly shrunk it in the wash… Then I gave up knitting again for a bit of time and picked back up in earnest in 2000 when I was expecting my oldest and knit her a baby blanket, which every one of my kids came home from the hospital wrapped in.
3. I left home at 18 for college and never really returned… I’m proud that I have been able to take care of myself for so long.
4. I saved up for, and bought, a moped in high school since it was cheaper than a car, and got me to all my friends from high school, 1 town away. I loved that moped and miss it to this day!
5. I’m only 5’1″ tall, but the big guy is aptly named for his 6’5″ frame.
6. We had a stepladder at our wedding for the first kiss (it was a surprise to all but the Maid of Honor, and the Priest) I didn’t want a hunched over hubby in our first kiss picture!
7. Colby College where I attended undergraduate school, was enormous to me. My class size of 542 nearly quadrupled my high school class of 150, which was 5 times larger than my elementary school class of 30! I’m sure many of you went somewhere where you class size did that to my college class!
8. There is another woman out there with my same name… she’s my sister-in-law.
9. I have always felt like I have a twin somewhere, even though I know for sure my mom only had one baby when I was born…
10. I knew in 5th grade that I would have a career in the Sciences. I fell in love with science when Mrs. Winslow first taught it to me.
11. We had doberman’s when I was little. My sister and I used to tie these green throw pillows (with tweety bird on them) onto the dogs’ backs and ride them like horses.
12. I grew up in Massachusetts, and our basement always flooded (how many Massachusetts basements didn’t flood in the 70’s?)
13. My dad had a canoe that was kept in our basement. My mom would load our baskets of laundry into the canoe and canoe down to the washing machine to get it washed.
14. In the winter we literally skated on the ice pond that was our basement.
15. My childhood neighborhood had only 3 girls (my age) and probably 15 boys. I thought nothing of playing war, cowboys and indians, cops and robbers, wiffleball, kick the can, street hockey, or riding the makeshift dune buggies with the boys across the street.
16. I never owned a barbie.
17. It nearly drives me nutty how much my daughters love barbies.
18. I swore my kid would never watch Barney. We own like 10 Barney videos, and at least 3 Teletubbies videos.
19. Sometimes I wish that I had thought about medical school while in undergrad because I would never steal that time away from my family now, but would love to be a doctor.
20. I love to read but almost never do it… I always choose knitting over reading in bed.
21. I never knit with anything (except that one sweater in college) other than acrylic yarn until 2002.
22. I will NOT be knitting everyone in my family something for Christmas next year.
23. My sister is my best friend, but when were teens we hated each other with every fiber in our beings.
24. My sister and I are almost ‘irish twins’… we’re 1 year and 8 days apart.
25. When we were younger everyone mistook us for twins, or thought she was the older one.
26. To this day my sister could kick the cr#$%&p out of me.
27. I could outrun her in a second….
28. My oldest daughter is the twin I always thought I’d had.
29. My most recent, most proud moment was teaching my Big Girl something very special.
30. I’m the hostess of an anonymous swap and accidentally revealed myself in the 2nd email I sent my pal!!!
31. I’m mildly concerned for my well being when we lose Murphy one of these years.
32. I actually miss working in an office.
33. I love the Harry Potter books and am really bummed that it’s all over… I hope JK Rowling will come up with another brilliant idea like her first… Fortunately I get to re-live the fun while the Big girl reads through them (she started book 5 last night… )
34. My favorite fruit changes as frequently as my favorite vegetable. But if given the choice from everything out there at one sitting, I’d eat a juicy ripe strawberry and an artichoke first.
35. If it weren’t for the fact that I like the taste Fish and Chicken, I’d be a vegetarian.
36. I was born at 5:42 am, and my Mom used to call me at exactly that time each year and wake me up to be the first to wish me a Happy Birthday.
37. Today is my birthday…guess how old I am…
(we celebrated with the cake last night, the big guy and the littles made it…)