In the Christmas spirit…
I have struggled with finding the ‘spirit’ this year.. I don’t know if it is because of the move, and the change for our family… or maybe it’s because I had a hard time locating many of my decorations… and still can’t find many… I got my Christmas village up finally… and it is helping.. sitting here at the kitchen table each morning with the village lit up… still dark out.. drinking my cup of coffee.. it’s quiet… and pleasant.. and spirit filled.. 🙂
I saw this meme at Anne‘s and thought I’d post one too.. feel free to post it to yours if you feel inclined… maybe it will help boost your Christmas spirit.
1. Wrapping Paper or Gift Bags? Given a choice, always paper. I love putting special ribbons and curling them or what have you and trying to make things look pretty. Bags are great in a pinch, and even better for ‘odd sized’ gifts.
2. Real tree or artificial? Real, ONLY… I will never have a tree that is artificial in our living room. That being said, each of my children has a small artificial tree in each of their bedrooms.
3. When do you put up the tree? The first week of December.
4. When do you take down the tree? I like to enjoy it as long as possible, sometimes as late as my birthday, but typically, the first week of January.
5. Do you like Egg Nog? No.. yuck.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? My bike, with the backward handles and all.. or wait.. it might have been the Quiet Riot album… (literally the record)
7. Do you have a nativity scene? Not the one I want.. maybe one day though.
8. Hardest person to buy for? My husband, he buys what he wants when he wants it… which doesn’t leave me much room…
9. Easiest person to buy for? My kids.. they tell me EVERY DAY.. exactly what they want… ‘Mommy, can I get that for Christmas?’…. ‘Mommy, can I get that for my birthday?’… ‘Mommy, can I get that when I’m older?’…….
10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? I can’t think of anything that was bad. Even when I was a kid… maybe I didn’t get something I really wanted.. but I never disliked a gift. My parents taught me to respect and understand the thought put into buying and giving a gift.
11. Mail or email Christmas Cards? Mail, only.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? I can’t choose just one =P I love A Christmas Story – never fails to make me laugh. And I love Miracle on 34th Street. And how can you not love It’s A Wonderful Life? Of course there’s the kid movies, ‘The Little Drummer Boy’ and ‘Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer’… and who doesn’t love ‘Frosty the snowman’? My new favorites though are the ‘Santa Clause’ series with Tim Allen.. hilarious!
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? In the early fall I try to start with the little things, stocking stuffers etc.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I don’t think so.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Peanut butter blossoms, and my mom’s peanut crunch…
16. Clear lights or colored? Both. I like clear in the yard and on the house, but we have colored on the tree.
17. Favorite Christmas Song? Sleigh Bells, White Christmas.. typically the classics…
18. Travel or stay home at Christmas? Stay at home.. I hate traveling for the holiday.. it’s too much stress..
19. Can you name all of Santa’s Reindeer? Assuredly, while singing as Gene Autry in my head – You know Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen; Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blitzen.. but do you recalllllll the most famous reindeer of all…. ? Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer…
20. Angel or Star on the top of the tree? Angel this year.. Star next. My Hubby’s family had an angel when he was growing up and mine had a star.. so we alternate.
21. Open Christmas Eve or Morning? Christmas morning. The only thing opened on Christmas Eve is the new pair of Jammies…
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Christmas Carols/displays in stores before Halloween… come on…
23. What’s the corniest family tradition you do or miss doing? Driving around looking for the tackiest light display… we still do it every year… and our new PA home town has a plethora of light displays to oggle…
24. What’s the worst thing you’ve seen related to Christmas? How rushed and stressed people let themselves get. They forget to stop and remember the reason for the season!
25. Which looks best, theme trees or homey trees? I’m all about homey. We’ve always decorated with a mix of ornaments from my childhood and those we’ve acquired from our travels, and the ones the kids have made in school… Every ornament has a story…
26. Gingerbread or Sugar Cookies? Gingerbread.. but I haven’t made it this year… pout.. maybe this weekend!
27. Do you like fruitcake? No way!